Thursday 30 January 2020

Anchor System Part 4

As usual, it's two paces forward and one back. The problems arise both from buying online using multiple suppliers, and the fact that the anchor system is not part of the original boat design but my own customisation. 

The upside is that you can order online from your workshop, to a supplier 100s of miles away, and you get the goods the next day. The downside can be those dimensions you couldn't check online which turn out to be the ones that cause problems. I'll start from the beginning so you can see how things don't go to plan. Learn from my mistakes.

From my last post (Part 3) you will see I built a chain locker in the forepeak. I was worried it would be too small, but rest assured it's fine - odd shaped volumes can be deceiving - there's plenty of space.

My first move was to begin to build a Pulpit! I began by preparing a piece of mahogany with a bracket which will be the Sprit (as in bowsprit).






Using the hawser pipe as a template, I marked and then cut a hole through the sprit.





Positioning the sprit carefully, I marked the deck below with a pencil before cutting a hole through the deck.   Cutting holes in decks and hulls really makes me twitch: spending all one's time keeping water out is the antithesis of piercing the boat.


This hole gives access to the chain locker which you can just see through the hole, via the pipe you can see below.





I cleaned them up and varnished the sprit and its bracket: two coats sanded between coats. Once the varnish was dry I glued the sprit to the deck. Then mixed up epoxy resin with filleting powder which I poured into a icing bag and piped along the edges where the sprit meets the deck.








Using the same epoxy filleting mix to fix the mahogany sprit bracket in position. This bracket offers a certain amount of strength but is primarily my idea of making the sprit look part of the boat, rather than a piece of wood glued on.. The photograph was taken before I cleaned up the epoxy overrun.


The automatic bow anchor launching roller was the next piece to be added.


I'll continue the rest of this post separately, as Google has stopped me adding anymore photographs 




No comments:

Post a Comment