Wednesday, 16 January 2019

Aft Lockers

I have now completed the aft lockers, apart from sanding and final finish.

The lockers act as seats, with the tops hinged for access to the lockers. The materials uses are marine-ply and Iroko. The Iroko serves two purposes: Firstly, to protect and conceal the plywood edges and, secondly to bring a contrast in the colour system.

As you can see the Iroko floors are now glued into position and I'm fitting the midship sole (duckboard)

Starboard locker with its lid open.

There are two edges through water, be it sea or rain, can enter the locker: the hinged edge and the aft edge. On these edges I have made an internal gutter from Douglas-Fir (2" x 1") into which I have routered a channel. I've drilled a scupper in the sides of the locker for the water to escape from the channels. The front and front edge of the lid overlap so no water can enter through those two edges. 

The two most forward Iroko floors can be seen in the picture above, and the forward stowage is almost complete

Saturday, 29 December 2018

Aft Slatted Sole

The aft lockers are almost complete and I have now added the aft slatted sole (aka duck boards) I've made from Douglas Fir.

Sunday, 16 December 2018

Forward Storage

I have now begun to build the forward storage, which comprises a seat over and locker under.

At this juncture it dawned on me that the inclusion of a bucket would provide a head (toilet WC) ... rather having my dear wife hanging over the side!!

The aft stowage is coming along and I keep moving back and forward to allow glue to set on one end or the other. 

Sunday, 9 December 2018

Aft Lockers

I had to make knees to reinforce the gunwales, and then fixed them in place at regular intervals, on either side.

Next came the forecastle deck and the floors.

This whole area in the transom area now gets boxed in to form a locker.

Technically the locker top is a quarterdeck, a bit too grand so we will call it a locker top. 

I then cut and fitted the bulkhead that also serves as locker front

There are two lockers (under) that can be used as seats (over) and I have began to fit the longitudinal bulkheads for these.

My next move is to complete the two lockers

Monday, 26 November 2018

Forecastle and Gunwales

I have continued to build the gunwales (pronounced 'gunnels'), First came the inwale made from two pieces laminated together.

Then two one inch filler pieces, followed by the carlin which was laminated from two pieces. Altogether these six pieces form the gunwale (see picture above)

I then began work on the tiny forecastle (pronounced 'Folk sull') which I intend to be make from a half-inch marine ply ground piece, which will be planked over. I don't want the edge of the plywood exposed and so I am setting it in to lie flush with the top planks.

Wednesday, 21 November 2018

Starting to Look Like a Boat at Last.

Now we have domestic help I can spend more time on the Boat Build!

I had left the top of the stem uncut as I wanted it to be a mile-stone: it would go when the first deck beam went in.

I have finished the quarter-knees and transom-knee.

The Small Triangular Quarter Knee (one on either side)

Transom Knee 

Still looking scruffy, but a good sanding and epoxy resin will work wonders

Sunday, 4 November 2018

Quarter Knees, Inwales and Floors

I have now cut and fitted the quarter knees, which strengthen the transom to sides. 

Here is the port quarter knee (triangular piece)

Then I fixed the after most floor with Epoxy Resin with added Fillet Fibres, which were piped though a forcing-bag, as used in icing (topping) cakes.

Aft floor glued to planks by epoxy resin fillets

Last week, I fitted one layer of the starboard inwale to the top  strake of planking (see last posting). Today, I added the second starboard layer by laminating it (gluing it) to the first layer: It would have been difficult to bend one thick inwale and so it is made from two pieces.

The two laminated layers of the laminated inwale, looking Forward, clamped to the outer planking

View of  Starboard Inwale Looking Aft

As in the first layer, I had to scarf-joint the second layer: it wasn't long enough and I had to add a smaller length joined to the longer piece.

Scarf Joint - the length of the joint is calculated by multiplying the thickness by 8. The joint above is 4 inches long as it is 0.5 inch thick