Wednesday 11 December 2019

The Best-Laid Plans of Mice and Men Often Go Awry

....or... as Robbie Burns actually wrote it, "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men  Gang aft a-gley.”

You can see from my previous post that I researched the process of fitting windows in the wheelhouse.



I went ahead and purchased the expensive rubber seal and the polycarbonate. The seal, however was massive and spiralled like a corkscrew.



 I tried leaving it on a radiator overnight to soften but no luck. I soaked in hot water, played a hairdryer on it as I tried to fit it all without success. Finally I tried cursing it and throwing it the length of the boathouse ... but no luck. Speaking to others who have tried it, without success, I decided to take alternative methods which didn't involve rubber seals.

I have began with the two lights (windows), one on each side of the cuddy part of the wheel house.




For these I bought two opening watertight ports  which you can see below. These were remarkably cheap at £25 each (US $33). 


They don't fit neatly into the window shape that I have cut out of the bulkhead as they slightly longer, narrower and a different shape. Consequently, I'm having to devise a way of fitting them.



I've started by cutting out a blank in 1/2 inch (12mm) marine ply into which the port will fit. This will be glued to the outside of the wheelhouse. Meanwhile I have cut another blank for the inside (below).



How this all comes together will become obvious in the next post when I fit the window into the boat  

1 comment: