Sunday 11 February 2018

Not Exactly a Boat, But......

I can't really claim that I have a boat yet, but certainly turning her over and removing the last few moulds (molds) has produced a hull, which I boarded for the first time.


The white strips you can see are the masking-tape I used to stop the moulds from getting glued to the planking. The next task is to sand -paper the hull internally, so as to remove all vestiges of glue.

An interesting view taken from inside the hull, giving a view never possible to see when she was being built upside-down.



You can see all the glue that has to be removed running (white) between each plank. Important Lesson to learn: wipe off as much surplus glue as you can whilst it's still wet - given that it is almost impossible at times when the hull is upside-down and full of moulds. 

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from the States,
    Just found your blog today. Thanks so much for posting! Rathlin is perfect for here on Buzzards Bay but was afraid it would be a larger project than I could handle. You have given me the courage to start small and work up to it. Thank you!
    Best regards,
    Bud Clarkmoore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bud - Thanks for dropping in. Yeah I didn't have space to build a Rathlin, so I went for this 15 foot Maine Lobster Boat - as you've seen.
      I'm so pleased I was of inspiration to you. Please feel free to contact me at any time.... and keep me posted on your progress.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you are keeping busy with this project, must be a labour of love! not much time to paint then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had so much on the go, but look forward to painting once more. Your Still Life painting is exquisite, look forward to seeing your latest

      Delete
  4. Satisfying. I have enjoyed step and looking forward to the next one.
    I gurgled at the image of the scooter pulling it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just seen this, Julie, thanks for the support

    ReplyDelete