Saturday 7 August 2021

Installing the Outboard Motor

 Putting the engine into the boat was always going to be a problem: it was so heavy that I couldn't budge it an inch.

It's the sort of thing that is commonplace to a lot of you,, but to me it was Mount Everest
It's the sort of challenge I relish, for I needed to raise the engine vertically three foot, and backwards another six foot. Then I had to reposition the engine eight foot to the right, swing it into the vertical position and drop it with pinpoint accuracy into the slot I had carved in the transom (back).
All I had were a tiny pairs of pulley-system (£12 each) and a couple of mooring lines. It took three hours of coordinating small movements.
Well it's done!!!

The slot I had to cut was because the transom and transom beam were too wide for the motor. I have a photo of the slot but it has become corrupted.














5 comments:

  1. John!! I just saw your comment from May 31 on my CripplePencil blog! (You are correct that I am very sporadically attending to the comments over there🙃, and I post equally sporadically🥴, but you were not correct that I would not know who you are🙂!) So I searched your blogs to find out what you have been up to… man, there is absolutely no limit to your creativity and abilities!! Boatbuilding! You have been taking your artistry to the next level for sure. So fun to see. Anyway, thanks for checking in an leaving a comment - it is always good to “connect” with old friends, even if just through a few words of acknowledgement on a screen😀. Keep up the boat work - I’ll check in sporadically.🙌🏼

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, follow-up comment. My 11 and 8 year old sons are saying with my scrolling through your boat blog, and the comments respectively are: “Wow!! Sweeet!” and “Dude, that’s cool!” So there you have it - highest compliments for sure😂. One of them noticed that the motor has a lever that is sometimes used (on a john boat) to steer the boat. But he also noticed the steering wheel. SO he has a question: will the boat be steered with the steering wheel or with the lever on the engine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased your sons liked what I'm up to. The motor doesn't have the handle (tiller) it is steered remotely by the wheel ...such a clever question to ask. Here's a surprise for them, my sons are 62 and 60. My granddaughters are nearly 49 and my great grandchildren are aged between 7 and 5 :) Funny old life :)

      Delete
    2. ...that's supposed to be 40 not 49 :)

      Delete